62 Views no discussions Share LocalNews Layou residents benefit from natural disaster initiative by: – April 30, 2012 Tweet Sharing is caring! Share Share Lazare Charles. Photo credit: Facebook.Seventeen families from the Layou Community are currently benefiting from a project geared at ensuring that their homes are better able to withstand natural disasters.The Layou Improvement Committee in collaboration with the Dominica and French Red Cross Organizations has introduced a “Safer Housing Project” in that community.President of the Layou Improvement Committee Lazare Charles said the move is in keeping with plans to reduce the effects of natural disasters on residents in Layou.“On Saturday 20 persons received training in technical specification for a wooden house. Part of the training involved foundation, flooring, walls, roof, the steps involved in nailing galvanized sheeting and to install hurricane straps. The training was headed by an Australian Engineer who is also heading the project,” Lazare explained.According to Lazare the other fourteen (14) houses will be done during the course of this week.“When there are hurricanes and strong winds it affects some homes. We are confident that the seventeen houses which are benefiting will be better able to withstand the hurricanes”.Lazare said there are several homes in Layou which needs attention; nevertheless he commended the government for the work which they have done so far.“Slowly but surely we will get there. Everything cannot be done all at once but we are strong. Layou is an area below sea level and there is also a concern especially when there is high swelling,” he explained.Dominica Vibes News
RelatedPosts Gov. Diri sues for understanding over Bayelsa, Rivers boundary dispute Police foil kidnap attempt of Medical Doctor in Bayelsa Coastal erosion, flood threaten Federal Polytechnic— Rector Embattled former Super Eagles’ coach, Samson Siasia, is prepared to appeal his life ban at the Court of Arbitration after his mother regained freedom from kidnappers den on Sunday.It can be recalled Siasia was banned for match-fixing by the world football’s governing body Fifa.He is expected to pay 100,000 Swiss Francs (N36,453,400) by October 10 for his appeal case to be heard at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in the Swiss city of Lausanne.In a brief chat on Sunday evening, the gaffer said: “Now, it appears I’m asking too much from Nigerians but I seriously need them in my quest to clear my name in CAS against the ban slammed on me by FIFA.“True be told I want not given the opportunity to defend my self before the ban. “I strongly believe FIFA didn’t also explore all then options to get across to me.“So for me, I still have one more battle to fight after mama’s release. “I have to do all I can to be heard at CAS because being in football is the only life that I know.”Siasia’s mother was released after being kidnapped by gunmen 10 weeks ago.Ogere Siasia, 76, and two others were seized back in July in Bayelsa State, southern Nigeria, where kidnappings for ransom are frequent.Siasia said he was “relieved” that his mother had been released safely.He said: “It’s been really tough but I’m pretty relieved that she’s finally released on Sunday morning.“I can only thank Nigerians and everyone involved in the safe return of my mother.”It’s the second time in four years that Mrs. Siasia had been kidnapped after she was previously held by gunmen for 12 days before her release back in November 2015.— Tags: Bayelsa StateFIFA BAN
North Carolina police have charged a man with assault after he attacked his son’s opponent at a high school wrestling match.On Saturday during a high school wrestling tournament, Barry Lee Jones tackled his son’s opponent because the opponent dropped his son on his head. Which was an illegal move, according to the North Carolina High School Athletic Association.A video of the incident surfaced online. Jones was arrested by the Kannapolis Police Department.None of the kids were injured, according to reports.
February 13, 2020 STEPPING UP: Army’s Tommy Funk has averaged 16.5 points, 4.4 rebounds and 6.7 assists while Matt Wilson has put up 16 points and 7.8 rebounds. For the Mountain Hawks, Jordan Cohen has averaged 14.8 points and 4.2 assists while Jeameril Wilson has put up 9.5 points and 4.9 rebounds.KEY CONTRIBUTOR: Funk has had his hand in 50 percent of all Army field goals over the last five games. The senior guard has 35 field goals and 32 assists in those games.WINLESS WHEN: Army is 0-7 this year when it scores 62 points or fewer and 12-5 when it scores at least 63.ASSIST RATIOS: The Black Knights have recently used assists to create baskets more often than the Mountain Hawks. Army has 42 assists on 78 field goals (53.8 percent) over its past three outings while Lehigh has assists on 34 of 67 field goals (50.7 percent) during its past three games.DID YOU KNOW: Lehigh has scored 67.3 points and allowed 74 points over its last three games. Army has averaged 64.3 points while allowing 66.7 over its last three. Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditLehigh (7-18, 4-9) vs. Army (12-12, 7-6)Christl Arena, West Point, New York; Saturday, 1 p.m. ESTBOTTOM LINE: Lehigh seeks revenge on Army after dropping the first matchup in Bethlehem. The teams last played each other on Feb. 1, when the Black Knights shot 51.7 percent from the field and went 10 for 19 from 3-point territory en route to the 80-79 victory. ___For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25___This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com Lehigh seeks revenge on Army
March 5, 2020 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNo. 3 seed Sacred Heart (20-12, 13-6) vs. No. 2 seed St. Francis (Pa.) (21-9, 14-5)Northeast Conference Tourney Semifinals, DeGol Arena, Loretto, Pennsylvania; Saturday, 12 p.m. ESTBOTTOM LINE: Sacred Heart is ready to take on St. Francis (Pa.) with a spot in the NEC championship game on the line. St. Francis (Pa.) swept the two-game regular season series. The teams last played on Feb. 6, when the Red Flash shot 40.9 percent from the field and went 10 for 11 from the free throw line en route to a 70-68 victory. Associated Press Sacred Heart meets St. Francis in NEC semis STEPPING UP: St. Francis (Pa.)’s Keith Braxton has averaged 17.4 points and 7.5 rebounds while Isaiah Blackmon has put up 18.1 points and 5.1 rebounds. For the Pioneers, E.J. Anosike has averaged 15.9 points and 11.7 rebounds while Koreem Ozier has put up 13.8 points.SPARKING THE OFFENSE: Braxton has made or assisted on 50 percent of all St. Francis (Pa.) field goals over the last three games. The senior guard has accounted for 25 field goals and 16 assists in those games.STREAK STATS: St. Francis (Pa.) has won its last six home games, scoring an average of 81.7 points while giving up 67.7.ACCOUNTING FOR ASSISTS: The Red Flash have recently used assists to create buckets more often than the Pioneers. St. Francis (Pa.) has 35 assists on 82 field goals (42.7 percent) across its past three outings while Sacred Heart has assists on 31 of 74 field goals (41.9 percent) during its past three games.DID YOU KNOW: Sacred Heart is ranked first among Division I teams with an offensive rebound percentage of 36.1 percent. The Pioneers have averaged 13.2 offensive boards per game and 17.8 over their four-game winning streak. ___For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25___This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com
Last season a sleeping giant awoke from within the waters of McDonald’s Swim Stadium, and a roar was once again heard across the Pac-10 — USC swimming and diving is back.After several years of trying to find its footing under a new coaching staff and a new training regime, the young team finally made a stand. Last season the No. 4 women’s team went undefeated in dual meets until its final battle against No. 2 Stanford.On your marks · After a good showing at its opening meet against Oregon State, the USC swimming and diving team is ready to dive into the rest of its Pac-10 season. The team faces the Arizona schools next week. – Eric Burse | Daily TrojanHowever, the biggest upset was undoubtedly USC’s victory against 2009 NCAA Champion Arizona.“I’m very excited about the momentum this team has gathered over the summer, and I’m excited to ride that momentum and start getting this team back to the top of NCAAs,” USC coach Dave Salo said.This season shapes up to be full of major challenges for the men and women of Troy, the most immediate being next weekend’s dual meet against Arizona, who will be out for redemption.“I was standing on the pool deck at USC getting my fanny kicked,” Arizona coach Frank Busch told the Arizona Daily Star last year following USC’s win. “USC kicked us in the teeth.”Aside from Arizona, Bay Area rivals Cal and Stanford will once again be among this year’s toughest competitors. Last season the Women of Troy succeeded in silencing the confident No. 1 Golden Bears, yet neither team was able to overthrow the Cardinal.The loss of last year’s senior class is already showing its effects. At Oregon State, the women’s team lost its first medley relay dual in three years, an event it formerly dominated with All-American seniors Kristen Lahey, Katy Houston, Rebecca Soni and Rachael Waller.In their absence, it will be this year’s sophomores and the top-rated incoming freshmen class who will be fueling the engine, though their lack of collegiate experience may prove challenging for the young team.Sophomore Ella Kidron is beginning to show herself worthy of taking over Soni’s breastroke reign, winning both breastroke events in the women’s Pac-10 opener against Oregon State.The event to watch on the women’s side will be the 200 butterfly starring All-American sophomore Tanya Krisman, All-American transfer junior Lyndsay DePaul, All-American sophomore Katinka Hosszu and freshman Yumi So.“We have three of the top-10 times in the country,” USC assistant coach Jeremy Kipp said. “That’s going to be a great race.”The men’s team will be led by an impressive group of international imports. Freshman Richard Charlesworth brings a national title all the way from Great Britain and will be continuing a USC men’s distance tradition that has nurtured Olympians Larsen Jensen and Ous Mellouli.The French freshman Clement Lefert is a national champion and 2008 Beijing Olympian. Clement’s 100 butterfly will be an event to watch this season, as well as the men’s 200 freestyle featuring Charlesworth, sophomore captain Patrick White and senior Zoltan Povazsay.“I’m excited about the guys being excited about their potential this season,” Kipp said. “The kids we’re bringing in speaks volumes about what we already had.”USC diving gains an outstanding asset in freshmen Ariel Rittenhouse, a 2008 Beijing Olympian and long standing member of the USA National Team, who finished fifth on the 3-meter at the Rome World Championships this summer.“Not only was this result a personal best for her,” USC diving coach Hongping Li said, “but the best individual diving performance for the US in over 15 years.”All-American sophomore Victoria Ishimatsu will also be a key competitor for the Women of Troy, looking to improve on her already-stellar collegiate reputation after winning the 3-meter diving event at the Pac-10 Championships last year.All-American sophomore Harrison Jones and junior Steven Starks will be the men to watch in diving this season, both with NCAA Championship experience behind them.“This is the best team I have coached in 10 years,” Hongping said, reflecting on his 11 years at USC. “We have a combination of talent and depth that we haven’t had before, and I anticipate great things this season.”The diving team will host its USC Diving Invitational at McDonald’s Swim Stadium this weekend. The Trojans will then travel to the Arizona desert on Nov. 13 and 14 to face the Wildcats and Arizona State.
FOLLOW US LIVE TV First Published: 31st December, 2019 12:53 IST Last Updated: 31st December, 2019 12:53 IST South Florida Football Player Dies After Being Hit By Train A star high school football player in South Florida was killed Monday after he was hit by a freight train. WATCH US LIVE Written By A star high school football player in South Florida was killed Monday after he was hit by a freight train.Bryce Gowdy, 17, died at a hospital after he was struck by a freight train in Deerfield Beach, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.The sheriff’s office said it was investigating the events surrounding Gowdy’s death, and that the cause and manner of death would be determined by the medical examiner’s office.Gowdy was a wide receiver and defensive back for Deerfield Beach High School.“He was one of the leaders of the team,” Dave Brousseau, a Deerfield Beach alumnus still active with the program,Gowdy was signed to play for Georgia Tech.On Monday, Georgia Tech coach Geoff Collins tweeted, “We are heartbroken. Bryce will always be a part of our Georgia Tech Football Family. We will be praying for him and all those who love him.” SUBSCRIBE TO US Associated Press Television News COMMENT
StumbleUpon This week’s 6 of the Best takes us to the northernmost country of the United Kingdom, and to Scotland, where Harry Kane sadly brought today’s interviewee – McBookie Co-Founder and Director Paul Petrie – back down to earth in the World Cup qualification rounds.Keep reading to find out about a holiday conundrum, Tom Cruise toss-ups and three minutes of footballing mayhem.Best HolidayI met my wife on a boys holiday to Gran Canaria so she will kill me if I don’t pick that destination. It has certainly had the biggest impact on my life.When I was younger I went on a family holiday to South Africa where my Grandparents were living at the time. We spent a month visiting family in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg, and then spent two cracking days at the Kruger National Park. That would be my other favourite.Best AlbumI was in my prime during the Brit Pop era so it would have to be “Be Here Now” by Oasis. We had gone to see them play at Loch Lomond the year before so the anticipation for the new material was gigantic. The reviews weren’t great but as far as I was concerned it was a classic.Best Sporting ExperienceThe best 3 minutes was during the Scotland v England game at Hampden during the recent World Cup qualifiers, when Leigh Griffiths banged in his quick fire free kick double. We were still on a high after the equaliser, and when Scotland were awarded another free kick from a near identical position, we knew he had the ability to do it again. It was utter mayhem. Sadly we were brought down to earth when Harry Kane equalised.Best FilmIt is a toss-up between Top Gun and Mission Impossible. Or indeed anything with Tom Cruise in it. Cocktail, Rain Man, The Colour of Money. I think it changes every week but it will always be one of his movies.Best BookI love all the Irvine Welsh books and my favourite is Glue. I read it on holiday and was laughing so much I had tears flooding down my eyes around the pool and got some very unusual looks. One of the characters uses the phrase “Think Souness” when he is trying to encourage his mates to do something. Me and my friends still use it.Best BetAP McCoy had just jumped the last on Don’t Push It and it was obvious he was going to win the Grand National for the first time in 15 attempts. I quickly jumped online and before he had even crossed the line managed to have £25 on at 25/1 to win Sports Personality Of The Year. It was very snidey but I was obviously very happy with myself and even more so when the racing fraternity started a campaign to help him win it BGC – Scotland and Wales must come clear on casino reopenings July 28, 2020 England’s casinos to reopen on 1 August July 17, 2020 Betfred counters Oppenheimer bid in race to rescue Phumelela August 26, 2020 Share Related Articles Submit Share
Mexico’s Sergioramos:) will forever have a place in Clash Royale history after victory in the game’s Crown Championship World Finals on Sunday. Clash Royale gained its first world champion at London’s Copper Box Arena at the weekend, who duly took home $150,000 (£110,000) in prize money. Sergioramos:) said of his win: “When I first started playing Clash Royale, I was just doing it for fun, and I never could have imagined making it to this level.“There were so many other amazing competitors at the World Finals, and it was an honor to have played with them this weekend.”From an initial 27 million global entrants, the World Finals brought together the top 16 players from around the world, representing 8 different regions. These were were Coltonw83, finalist MusicMaster and CMcHugh from the USA, loupanji (France) and Berin (Germany) from Europe, Adrian Piedra (Mexico) and Sergioramos:) (Mexico) from Latin America, Geltube and X-Bow Master from Korea, Fuchi and Amaterasu from Japan, Winds and quiet from China, Tali (Vietnam) and YaoYao (Taiwan) from Southeast Asia. ElecTr1fy from Israel, who represented the Rest of the World region.If you have six and a half hours to spare you can watch the Crown Championship World Finals on Youtube here. Supercell’s Clash Royale title has had quite some year, and it was also recently named Google Play’s Game of the Year 2017. The mobile games developer, which has offices in Helsinki (HQ), San Francisco, Seoul, Tokyo and Shanghai, is also behind titles including Clash of Clans, Hay Day and Boom Beach. Esports Insider says: $150,000 in the bag then for the first world champion of Clash Royale’s growing scene. Great to see another big esports event hosted in our city of London too, and we hope more will follow suit. Congratulations Sergioramos:) and good work by Supercell.
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Iowa’s human resources agency has been investigating a personnel issue that has put two top crimefighters off work for two weeks.Assistant Division of Criminal Investigation director Terry Cowman and Special Agent in Charge C.J. Noelck were put on leave earlier this month.The two help run the Division of Intelligence, which includes the state fusion center and the Iowa Law Enforcement Intelligence Network.Iowa Department of Public Safety Commissioner Stephan Bayens and public information officer Alex Dinkla haven’t responded to questions or information requests about their status over the last two weeks.Cowman and Noelck have been with the department for more than 20 years.Reached at home, Noelck said that he has been directed by the Department of Administrative Services to stay quiet about the investigation. He says, “I was told it’s a personnel matter and I can’t comment.”It’s unclear what the investigation entails, but that department has recently taken a lead role looking into sexual harassment complaints. Such investigations are confidential.The two recently helped host an annual training conference for law enforcement.