Vietnam receives remains of all British truck victims

first_imgThe bodies of the 23 victims arrivedat Noi Bai Airport in Hanoi early on Saturday, a local government officialsaid. Seven of the bodies were cremated in Britain before being repatriated. HANOI – The remains of 39 Vietnamesepeople found dead in a truck near London last month have been brought toVietnam.  The first 16 of the bodies wererepatriated on Wednesday to their home towns in northern-central Vietnam, wherethey were received by relatives and friends. Ambulances believed to be carrying some of the bodies of victims found dead in a truck container in the United Kingdom, leave Noi Bai airport in Hanoi, Vietnam on Nov. 30. REUTERS/STRINGER Police in Vietnam have arrested 10people in connection with the deaths. On Monday, the British driver of thetruck admitted plotting to assist unlawful immigration and acquiring criminalproperty.(Reuters)last_img read more

SC stresses impartiality in PECO-MORE Power row

first_imgTheSupreme Court earlier turned down PECO’s petition to transfer the expropriationcase filed by MORE Power against it to a court outside Iloilo City. “Decisionsof the Supreme Court are always founded on facts, applicable laws, and currentjurisprudence,” said Hosaka. Friday last week, MORE Power took overPECO’s five substations armed with a Writ of Possession from the Regional Trial Court (RTC)Branch 23 in Iloilo City. PECO’sfranchise expired on Jan. 19, 2019. “Letus wait for the final resolution,” Hosaka said. MANILA – The Supreme Court (SC) will resolvethe dispute between new Iloilo City power distributor MOREElectric and Power Corp. (MORE Power) and previous distributor Panay ElectricCo. (PECO) with objectivityand independence, stressed its spokespersonBrian Hosaka. “That is how the Supreme Court acts asmandated by our Constitution, and that is why it will always be objective andindependent,” said Hosaka. TheHigh Court said PECO “failed to prove that a miscarriage of justice would arisein the event that the subject case continues to be heard in the RTC of IloiloCity.”/PNcenter_img He also pointed out that the SupremeCourt is composed of 15 Justices and its actions “are based on the majorityvote of the members en banc or of a division.” PECOhas questioned the constitutionality of MORE Power’s franchise. Ina statement on Sunday, Paduano urged President Rodrigo Duterte to intervene inthe row between MORE Power and PECO. Fourjudges already inhibited themselves from the case, namely Yvette Go (RTC,Branch 37), Ma. Theresa Gaspar (RTC, Branch 33), Daniel Antonio Gerardo Amular(RTC, Branch 35), and Gloria Madero (RTC, Branch 29). Hosaka dismissed a party-listlawmaker’s insinuation that the high court was biased in favor of MORE Power. Thelawmaker was Abang Lingkod party-list’s Cong. Joseph Stephen Paduano who, onAug. 22, 2019 filed House Bill No. 4101 which had sought to grant a 25-yearfranchise to PECO. The House committee on legislative franchise, however,rejected it, pointing out that a franchise was already granted to MORE Power onFeb. 14, 2019.last_img read more

3.5 Million Smoke Alarms Being Recalled

first_imgBATESVILLE, Ind. — More than 3.5 million combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are being recalled across the U.S.The recall involves Kidde Nighthawk Talking combo smoke and carbon monoxide alarms manufactured from June 2004 through December 2010.The alarm can fail to continue to chirp when it reaches its seven-year end of life, even if the batteries are replaced, leading consumers to believe it is still working.The problem poses a risk to consumers not being alerted to a fire or carbon monoxide incident in their home.Kidde has received eight reports of incidents, but no injuries have been reported.Consumers should contact Kidde directly for a free replacement alarm.last_img read more

Keegan: Sterling not ready to lead

first_img But despite a purple patch between December and February when he scored seven goals in 14 matches, the England youngster’s form tailed off with just one in 15 subsequent games as headlines about his contract wrangle – having rejected a £100,000-a-week deal, dominated towards the end of the season. Liverpool finished the season with just 52 league goals – the same number as Suarez and Sturridge scored between them last term – and Sterling contributed seven, two fewer than the previous campaign. “With the greatest respect to the other Liverpool strikers, Luis Suarez was the main reason why Liverpool were doing so well,” said Keegan. “I don’t say that out of disrespect to the other players, it’s just a fact. “So you take him out and then you are asking someone like Sturridge and someone as young as Sterling to step up to the plate. “It’s a big ask because they are not yet at the level of experience that Suarez has. He’s 27/28, whilst they are still learning the game so it’s difficult. “When they say to you, ‘right Daniel Sturridge, Raheem Sterling, you are our main man’ then that’s a bit different because then you are expected to be consistently good every single week. “Sometimes you can find yourself looking at a younger player of 23 to suddenly go out there and carry a team like Liverpool which is not easy and there’s not many can do that. Press Association Former Liverpool striker Kevin Keegan believes Brendan Rodgers was misguided in thinking youngster Raheem Sterling could help fill the void left by Luis Suarez. “The press that build you up will soon knock you down so it’s a learning curve for a lot of players. Some can handle it and some can’t. “The only way you can prove yourself is on a football field and you have a guy trying to stop you playing every week. “You have to overcome that first and then score goals, and do it consistently.” Liverpool’s lack of goals hurt them in their failed attempt to retain Champions League football as their back-up options to Sturridge – Mario Balotelli, Rickie Lambert and Fabio Borini – scored four league goals between them. That trio are likely to be moved on in the summer as Rodgers looks to address the issue up front with his pursuit of Burnley’s out-of-contract England Under-21 striker Danny Ings and interest in Aston Villa’s Christian Benteke. The 24-year-old Balotelli was the biggest disappointment as he managed just four goals in 28 appearances after his £16million move from AC Milan as Rodgers’ gamble failed to pay off. “Brendan bought Balotelli but that hasn’t worked out,” added Keegan. “He’s tried two or three other options but trying to find another player like Luis Suarez is difficult because in the whole world there are only about five or six players of that ability. “When players of that calibre are taken out of a team it leaves a massive void there that needs to be filled.” :: Kevin Keegan represented the League Manager’s Association (LMA) at the Prostate Cancer UK golf day at Wentworth recently. The LMA are proud partners of Prostate Cancer UK, and people are being urged to search Men United, and do something great with their mates via www.prostatecanceruk.org/menunited. The 20-year-old was expected to maintain the progress made playing alongside the Uruguay international and Daniel Sturridge last season but things did not pan out as either would have wanted. Injury to Sturridge, which ruled him out of the first five months and last six weeks of the campaign, meant Sterling was pressed into service as Liverpool’s main striker. last_img read more

Champions League: Wolfsburg Shocks Real Madrid

first_imgThe Spaniards, who also saw Karim Benzema limp off with a foot injury in the 40th minute, enjoyed a strong start but never recovered from the quick two-goal strike by the Wolves and were lucky not to have conceded a third in the second half.Elsewhere on the night, Fernandinho’s deflected goal earned Manchester City a draw at Paris St-Germain.Kevin de Bruyne’s clinical finish gave City the lead after Joe Hart saved Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s penalty for PSG.Ibrahimovic capitalised on Fernando’s error to equalise and Adrien Rabiot tapped in after the break to put French champions PSG in front.Fernandinho’s scuffed effort gave City a potentially vital second away goal.The second leg takes place at Etihad Stadium on Tuesday April 12.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Real Madrid suffered its first defeat in the Champions League this season when it was surprisingly beaten 2-0 at VfL Wolfsburg in the quarterfinal first leg yesterday.The Germans were celebrating a memorable last-eight debut after Ricardo Rodriguez’s penalty in the 18th minute and Maximilian Arnold’s strike in the 25th stunned the visitors only four days after their ‘Clasico’ win in Spain over Barcelona.Despite making just one change to the lineup that started against Barca, Real coach Zinedine Zidane’s team will now go into the return leg in Madrid next week with a clear disadvantage.last_img read more

Pinnacle withdraws UKGC licence application

first_img Related Articles UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition August 28, 2020 Björn Nilsson: How Triggy is delivering digestible data through pre-set triggers August 28, 2020 Updating its social media channels, Malta & Curacao-licensed online betting operator Pinnacle (Pinnacle.com) has confirmed that it will no longer be seeking a UK Gambling Commission (UKGC) licence.The low-margin bookmaker published the following update on its Twitter feed and Facebook group.Customer announcement: Pinnacle has withdrawn its licence application to the UK Gambling Commission. pic.twitter.com/hXuCfFW1K7— Pinnacle (@PinnacleSports) May 1, 2018In 2015, under the guidance of new ownership, Pinnacle one of the industry’s oldest online sportsbooks, set out its new strategic vision of primarily expanding its services within regulated European markets.Pinnacle would secure a Malta Gaming Authority MGA2 license in March 2015, allowing the operator to offer its sports betting services within European member states markets (subject to local regulatory conditions).Following its Malta MGA2 approval, Pinnacle stated that it would apply for a UKGC licence with the company initially targeting an early 2017 launch for its UK sportsbook product.However, since its initial UK application, Pinnacle has seen little to no progress on securing its UKGC licence with the operator being placed under commission review for some months.Last week, Pinnacle announced the launch of its new B2B sportsbook platform ‘Pinnacle Solution’ seeking to leverage its proprietary technology and knowledge of low–margin trading for new industry clients.Moving forward, it is believed that Pinnacle’s leadership will prioritise the growth of ‘Pinnacle Solution’ for its regulated market presence. Submit Share StumbleUpon TVBET passes GLI test for five live games in Malta and Italy August 25, 2020 Sharelast_img read more

Normalisation C’tee condemns horrific violence at Golden City Park

first_img Source: Ghana FA The Ghana Football Association (GFA) Normalisation Committee (NC) strongly condemns the shocking acts of violence witnessed at the Berekum Golden City Park on Sunday 28th April during the NC Special Competition clash between Berekum Chelsea and Asante KotokoWe have learnt with horror that following a confrontation between opposing supporters and officials, gunshots were fired as well as brutal acts of violence and hooliganism.While expressing our commiserations to the injured officials and supporters, the N.C would like to state in no uncertain terms that it is totally against the carrying, wielding or use of weapons at any venue before, during or after football matches.Again, the NC emphatically condemns any provocation, abuse, threats or intimidation; be it verbal or physical towards players, team/ match officials and media and takes such attacks very seriously.The NC would like to assure the general public that we will liaise with the police in their criminal investigations to reach conclusive findings and ensure appropriate sanctions are meted out to the perpetrator(s).This latest incident should not be taken lightly and the NC urges the Police and other relevant stakeholders to join forces in order to clamp down heavily on offenders to serve as a deterrent against future incidents.Additionally, the Normalization Committee in accordance with GFA statutes will refer the matter to the Disciplinary Committee of the GFA.last_img read more

Ella White Elementary on Full Lockdown

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisFrom Alpena Public Schools…For Immediate ReleaseBuildings on Lockdown.At the recommendation of law enforcement, Ella White Elementary is under a full lockdown at this time.  It was reported to law enforcement that an individual who was believed to have a weapon was in the vicinity of Ella White School.  Additionally, Thunder Bay Junior High School and Alpena High School are on a soft lockdown, also at the recommendation of law enforcement.All of the doors are locked at all Alpena Public Schools buildings at this time.  This includes Besser elementary, Hinks Elementary, Lincoln Elementary, Sanborn Elementary, Wilson Elementary and ACES Academy.While the full lockdown is in place, no one will be allowed to enter or exit the building without approval.  When we have received notification from law enforcement, parents will be notified immediately and can pick up their children if they choose.The safety of students and staff remains our priority, and we are continuing to work with law enforcement.Once we have more information or are given the all clear, parents will be notified immediately. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Health Department and MidMichigan Medical Center Encourage Northeast Michigan Mothers to ‘Pump at Work’Next Farm brothers win distinguished national awardlast_img read more

Clippers argue OT defensive foul call on Boban Marjonovic added insult to injury

first_img Clippers rookies key overtime victory over Oklahoma City Clippers still without Montrezl Harrell, who is in a 7-day quarantine Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed Marjanovic stayed in the game and said afterward that he was OK. And, yes, Marjanovic, who makes an appearance in the forthcoming “John Wick 3” action film, confirmed that the fictional assassin packs a harder punch than Stephenson.“It’s basketball, sometimes you must feel the elbow, it’s just a game,” said Marjanovic, who had 11 points and five rebounds in 13 minutes to help the Clippers rally to force overtime. “But from my perspective, I hope when I do that that they don’t call a foul. If they can do that to me, I can do that to them.”If that’s a frightening thought, Marjanovic followed up immediately: “I’m joking.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Clippers’ rhythm is missing but their spirits strong before playoff opener center_img LOS ANGELES — As Lance Stephenson danced near the baseline after converting a layup and drawing a foul on Boban Marjanovic to increase the Lakers’ lead to four and maybe five with less than a minute left in overtime Thursday night, the 7-foot-3 center was crumpled beneath the hoop, his head in his hands.Replays showed that Stephenson’s left elbow connected solidly with Marjanovic’s face on the play, after which the referees re-watched the sequence on the court-side monitor to determine whether it “warranted a possible or potential hostile act,” according to crew chief John Goble, who answered a pool reporter’s questions after the Lakers’ 123-120 overtime victory at Staples Center.He also explained that the referees were limited in what they could do because a defensive foul had been called. Furthermore, he said, “the on-court ruling was a defensive foul and there was no additional contact.” “I was thrown out on a play where I went for a defensive rebound and my elbow hit the guy going up for a rebound and I was ejected,” Harrell said. “This guy comes down offensively, leads with the (left) arm and lays the ball in with the other hand, and there’s nothing you can do to change it?“You can say it’s a basketball play, bang-bang play or whatever it is, but you went to the monitor and looked at it, slowed it down and watched it. If that’s not offensive, a tech or something, I don’t know what it is. You’ve gotta be consistent about calling this stuff.”“Boban, he gets penalized so much for being big,” said Lou Williams, the Clippers’ 6-foot-1 guard. “He never gets the benefit of the doubt. If I get hit with the same off-arm elbow, it’s gonna be an offensive foul. It’s unfortunate that they even looked at it and it was blatant (and) they said it was a basketball play. I’ve seen them call way worse if you elbow a guy going away from the rim, so it should be an offensive foul.”Patrick Beverley was more diplomatic about the situation.“Referees’ job is hard as it is already,” the veteran Clippers guard said. “They can’t call everything.” Most of the Clippers were not, however, in the mood to kid about the call, which led to the Lakers’ five-point lead with 45 seconds left. Marjanovic’s teammates were expecting a vastly different ruling.“When I saw it on the Jumbotron … I was just positive, I thought it would be overturned,” Clippers coach Doc Rivers said. “I was drawing up a play because I assumed we had the ball and I thought we were going to get a free throw out of it. And then we didn’t get either one.“I don’t know how you can come to that judgment. I get that maybe they said Boban fouled first, (but) it’s still a flagrant (on Stephenson). You make contact with the head, it’s a flagrant foul.”The Clippers’ Montrezl Harrell was called for a flagrant 2 and ejected after unintentionally elbowing Jusuf Nurkic while battling for a defensive rebound against the Trail Blazers in December.That play – which he criticized on Twitter afterward – was on Harrell’s mind Thursday.Related Articles How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years last_img read more

Lealiifano rescues Ulster

first_imgAshton Hewitt’s second try of the game three minutes from time looked to be decisive in a thriller at Rodney Parade, but Ulster refused to accept defeat.Lealiifano had the final say, the fly-half going over right at the end for a try which he was unable to convert, ensuring it was honours even to leave Ulster four points behind Conference B leaders the Scarlets.Ulster led 27-15 with only 14 minutes to play after Craig Gilroy helped himself to a double, but three tries in the space of 11 minutes from Liam Belcher, Angus O’Brien and Hewitt turned the game in the Dragons’ favour until Lealiifano struck.Glasgow have now won 10 out of 10 in the competition after seeing off the Blues 40-16 at Scotstoun.The runaway Conference A leaders scored six tries in a one-sided encounter and were given a big helping hand by Taufa’ao Filise, red-carded only 29 minutes in for a dangerous high tackle on George Turner.Sam Johnson and Alex Dunbar went over in the first half, with Ruaridh Jackson, Samuela Vunisa, Leo Sarto and Nikola Matawalu scoring five-pointers in the second as the Warriors claimed another bonus-point win.Southern Kings’ wait for a first win in the competition goes on after Sam Hidalgo-Clyne came off the bench to score a second-half hat-trick in Edinburgh’s 48-21 success at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium. Photo Getty Images. Caption: Christian Lealiifano is on loan at Ulster from Brumbieslast_img read more