Clippers argue OT defensive foul call on Boban Marjonovic added insult to injury

first_img Clippers rookies key overtime victory over Oklahoma City Clippers still without Montrezl Harrell, who is in a 7-day quarantine Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed Marjanovic stayed in the game and said afterward that he was OK. And, yes, Marjanovic, who makes an appearance in the forthcoming “John Wick 3” action film, confirmed that the fictional assassin packs a harder punch than Stephenson.“It’s basketball, sometimes you must feel the elbow, it’s just a game,” said Marjanovic, who had 11 points and five rebounds in 13 minutes to help the Clippers rally to force overtime. “But from my perspective, I hope when I do that that they don’t call a foul. If they can do that to me, I can do that to them.”If that’s a frightening thought, Marjanovic followed up immediately: “I’m joking.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Clippers’ rhythm is missing but their spirits strong before playoff opener center_img LOS ANGELES — As Lance Stephenson danced near the baseline after converting a layup and drawing a foul on Boban Marjanovic to increase the Lakers’ lead to four and maybe five with less than a minute left in overtime Thursday night, the 7-foot-3 center was crumpled beneath the hoop, his head in his hands.Replays showed that Stephenson’s left elbow connected solidly with Marjanovic’s face on the play, after which the referees re-watched the sequence on the court-side monitor to determine whether it “warranted a possible or potential hostile act,” according to crew chief John Goble, who answered a pool reporter’s questions after the Lakers’ 123-120 overtime victory at Staples Center.He also explained that the referees were limited in what they could do because a defensive foul had been called. Furthermore, he said, “the on-court ruling was a defensive foul and there was no additional contact.” “I was thrown out on a play where I went for a defensive rebound and my elbow hit the guy going up for a rebound and I was ejected,” Harrell said. “This guy comes down offensively, leads with the (left) arm and lays the ball in with the other hand, and there’s nothing you can do to change it?“You can say it’s a basketball play, bang-bang play or whatever it is, but you went to the monitor and looked at it, slowed it down and watched it. If that’s not offensive, a tech or something, I don’t know what it is. You’ve gotta be consistent about calling this stuff.”“Boban, he gets penalized so much for being big,” said Lou Williams, the Clippers’ 6-foot-1 guard. “He never gets the benefit of the doubt. If I get hit with the same off-arm elbow, it’s gonna be an offensive foul. It’s unfortunate that they even looked at it and it was blatant (and) they said it was a basketball play. I’ve seen them call way worse if you elbow a guy going away from the rim, so it should be an offensive foul.”Patrick Beverley was more diplomatic about the situation.“Referees’ job is hard as it is already,” the veteran Clippers guard said. “They can’t call everything.” Most of the Clippers were not, however, in the mood to kid about the call, which led to the Lakers’ five-point lead with 45 seconds left. Marjanovic’s teammates were expecting a vastly different ruling.“When I saw it on the Jumbotron … I was just positive, I thought it would be overturned,” Clippers coach Doc Rivers said. “I was drawing up a play because I assumed we had the ball and I thought we were going to get a free throw out of it. And then we didn’t get either one.“I don’t know how you can come to that judgment. I get that maybe they said Boban fouled first, (but) it’s still a flagrant (on Stephenson). You make contact with the head, it’s a flagrant foul.”The Clippers’ Montrezl Harrell was called for a flagrant 2 and ejected after unintentionally elbowing Jusuf Nurkic while battling for a defensive rebound against the Trail Blazers in December.That play – which he criticized on Twitter afterward – was on Harrell’s mind Thursday.Related Articles How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years last_img read more

THERE IS STILL TIME PUT YOUR NAME ON PERCIVAL LANDING

first_imgFacebook0Tweet0Pin0Help fund the construction of Percival Landing Phase 1 and be a part of history! Contributions are still being accepted for the Percival Landing Railing project.  Names of contributors will be sandblasted into a stainless steel railing plate – donation levels are $50, $100, $500, $1000.  Come visit the new Percival Landing, check out the names already there and pick up a donation form!  Donating on behalf of a friend or family member makes a great holiday gift!  Visit www.olympiawa.gov/percival-railing to download a donation form or call Olympia Parks, Arts & Recreation at 360/753-8380 for more information.last_img read more

€1million fund announced for western digital hubs

first_imgA one million euro fund has been announced to create a network of Enterprise Hubs and Digital Spaces from Co Donegal to Co Kerry.The fund is part of a new strategy to invest in tech, connect digital working hubs, and promote the quality of life in the Atlantic Economic Corridor (AEC) on the West Coast of Ireland.Minister of State at the Department of Rural and Community Development, Seán Canney TD, has announced the €1 million funding today, which is intended to link economic hubs and catchments of the region. Speaking at the launch of the Western Development Commission’s (WDC) new five year Strategic Plan ‘Work Smarter, Live Better’ in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway, Minister Canney said: “Through Project Ireland 2040, the Government has set out targets for regional population and jobs growth to ensure that our national development is more evenly balanced throughout the country. “The €1 million in funding which I am announcing today for a network of enterprise hubs and digital working spaces along the Atlantic Economic Corridor will help to drive economic development and contribute to our regional development goals.  The initiative will help to attract more people and more investment to the western part of Ireland, which is a vibrant area of innovation and entrepreneurship, as well as being a great place to live.”The €1 million in funding for the Hub Network is in addition to additional funding of €500,000 received by the Western Development Commission to enhance their capacity to support innovative and strategic regional development initiatives in the West.    €1million fund announced for western digital hubs was last modified: April 15th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Black fears de Ocampo out of finals with calf injury

first_imgPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMeralco finally won after dropping Games 1 and 2 of the PBA Governors’ Cup Finals but lost its starting forward Ranidel de Ocampo in the process.De Ocampo hurt his left calf in the first four minutes of Game 3 and did not return.ADVERTISEMENT Read Next De Ocampo, who was acquired by the Bolts this conference, is averaging 9 points per game in the finals.Fortunately for Meralco, Reynel Hugnatan stepped up with 22 points on 7-of-12 shooting from downtown. And by the looks of it, Bolts head coach Norman Black fears de Ocampo could miss the remainder of the series.“We have a little bit of bad news, I think we probably lost Ranidel for the rest of the series with the calf injury,” said Black after Meralco beat Barangay Ginebra, 94-81, Wednesday night.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“We’ll have him checked by a doctor but he doesn’t look very good right now,” he added.The 35-year-old de Ocampo has been a vital piece to Meralco’s finals run and his absence is a big blow to the team’s bid to win the franchise’s first championship. MOST READ Kin of Misamis Oriental hero cop to get death benefits, award — PNP LATEST STORIES Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PHcenter_img Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:20Hidden healers treat Hong Kong protesters00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Black blasts Cone after post-game spat View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fightlast_img read more

FEU stuns NU behind prized recruit

first_imgTamaraws coach Olsen Racela, however, still feels there’s plenty of room for improvement for FEU.“Playing a team like NU is always a good opportunity to gauge where we are and we know we have a lot of things to work on before the UAAP begins,” said Racela.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSan Beda, meanwhile, routed University of the East, 68-55, for its second victory. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netFilipino-Canadian recruit RJ Ramirez showcased his mettle as Far Eastern University kept its sharp form to stun National U, 88-77, for its third straight victory in the Filoil Flying V Premier Cup.Ramirez gave the Tamaraws a huge lift with 15 points and five assists.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Pacman finding his groove View comments Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast Palace: Duterte to hear out security execs on alleged China control of NGCP Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast MOST READ LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students PLAY LIST 01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes Every 18 seconds someone is diagnosed with HIV BSP survey: PH banks see bright horizon amid dark global recession cloudslast_img read more

Saudi allows yoga practice

first_imgNew Delhi, Nov 14 (PTI) The Saudi Arabian government has approved the practice of yoga as a sports activity, claimed a social media post of Nouf Marwaai, founder of the Arab Yoga Foundation in the Saudi kingdom.”Yoga, which literally means union. A union of individual with ones wellbeing, a body to mind, emotions & soul, nation to globe has officially arrived at the sea shore of Saudi Arabia. It has crossed the boundaries of fundamentalism…ideological extremism,” she said in a Facebook post dated November 12.However, the account is not verified by the social media site.She also wrote that since, its inception in Saudi, “Yoga has observed a topsy-turvy path, with me as a medium. God gave me strength to fight all difficulties, real difficulties. God was with me as an observer and infused courage in me whenever required. Here is a day, that finally practicing yoga is no more a deviant behaviour in Saudi.”She also thanked the Indian Government and the Consulate General for “unlimited” support.This development comes at a time when many Muslims in India and elsewhere are under pressure from their religious leaders not to practice yoga which they claim is “un-Islamic”.Last week, Rafia Naaz, a woman yoga teacher in Ranchi, was allegedly threatened by members of her community after she performed yoga.Yoga has been promoted in a big way by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and with concerted efforts by the government, the United Nations has also declared June 21 as International Yoga Day. PTI PYK ASK ASKadvertisementlast_img read more

I Support Women In Sport Campaign

first_imgThat’s a statistic that Women’s Health is trying to combat in their new campaign, I Support Women In Sport. On Wednesday, 19 January 2011 – Australia’s biggest-selling healthy lifestyle magazine, Women’s Health, and Rexona announced a 12 month partnership for I Support Women In Sport, the country’s most significant female sports awareness campaign in history.Felicity Harley, editor, Women’s Health, comments, “I Support Women In Sport has two clear objectives: participation and recognition.”“Firstly, we aim to encourage over 100,000 Australian women who currently do not participate in sport, to pledge their support and become involved in a sporting activity during 2011. Secondly, we will celebrate female athletes from all fields whose achievements are often undervalued or unrecognised.”“We believe the campaign is the most significant of its kind in history – and our goals are timely and ambitious, but ultimately achievable,” adds Harley.Rexona will feature up-and-coming female athletes in advertorials throughout the course of 2011, commencing with the February 2011 issue of Women’s Health and professional triathlete Courtney Gilfillan.Women’s Health magazine will support the drive with a dedicated website www.isupportwomeninsport.com.au which will track the number of sporting “commitment pledges” made and simplify the participation process, with a directory to find the nearest sports team, key calendar dates, a library of relevant information and social media to start community conversations. Each issue of the magazine will dedicate at least six pages of editorial showcasing inspirational female athletes and actioned-orientated tips to motivate and inspire readers.The campaign will culminate in a finale awards ceremony in October, which formally and publicly recognises Australian female sporting achievements.Harley adds, “I Support Women In Sport seeks to support Australian sportswomen from the grassroots level to our next generation of female stars. For too long, Aussie sportswomen have lacked the support they deserve – from sponsorship dollars, to community backing and public recognition of their achievements. The campaign seeks to address the imbalance by promoting positive female role models, recognising female sporting achievements and by actively encouraging female sports participation via highlighting its many physical and mental benefits.”Women’s Health has created a special subscriptions offer in conjunction with this program. This link: www.subscribetoday.com.au/wh/8380 will allow a discounted Women’s Health discount subscription offer.For more information on the I Support Women In Sport campaign and to find out how you can get involved please visit the following website:www.isupportwomeninsport.com.au To keep up-to-date with Women’s Health and the I Support Women In Sport campaign, please visit their Facebook and Twitter pages:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Womens-Health-Magazine-Australia/15083547539 http://twitter.com/womenshealthauslast_img read more

10 days ago​Ex-Chelsea keeper Green: Hudson-Odoi kept smiling during Bayern Munich saga

first_img​Ex-Chelsea keeper Green: Hudson-Odoi kept smiling during Bayern Munich sagaby Freddie Taylor10 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Chelsea goalkeeper Rob Green has spoken about Callum Hudson-Odoi and how the youngster handled rumours of a move to Bayern Munich.Hudson-Odoi was unhappy at a lack of playing time under previous Blues boss Maurizio Sarri.Bayern were offering big money for a January transfer, but Chelsea refused to entertain any bids for the player.He has since committed to the club by signing a new contract.Green spoke to BBC 5 Live about the situation, saying: “We would hear the Bayern Munich chat, the chat about other clubs and Callum would just be there smiling.”He knew it was all going on but it was water off a duck’s back for him. “Pressure didn’t exist for him. It still doesn’t.”You look at someone like that, the way he carried himself, the confidence that he had in and around the dressing room was incredible to watch.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more