Week eight of the prep football season is here and with it comes a duo of games which will go a long way towards deciding which team will sit atop the Little 4 Conference at the end of the season. Hoopa and McKinleyville, both on the loosing end of last week’s action, will face off in McKinleyville tonight. On Saturday Arcata will head south to the Eel River Valley for a showdown with Ferndale.Hoopa (1-1, 3-3) at McKinleyville (0-2, 2-4)The Hoopa Warriors will aim to keep pace with Arcata …
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Mary KennedyDTN Cash Grains AnalystMINNEAPOLIS (DTN) — USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has confirmed the discovery of genetically engineered wheat plants growing in an unplanted agricultural field in Washington state.U.S. Wheat Associates and the National Association of Wheat Growers issued a joint statement saying they were aware APHIS had confirmed the discovery of the plants. “APHIS says the GE wheat in question is resistant to the herbicide glyphosate,” stated USW and NAWG.This is the first such discovery in three years, and the fourth U.S. case of such wheat since 2013, when first discovered in Oregon.In their news release, USW and NAWG said that, “We believe APHIS is well prepared to identify additional information about this discovery and has confirmed to us that:— there is no evidence suggesting that this wheat event, or any other GM wheat event has entered U.S. commercial supplies or entered the food supply;— there are no GE wheat varieties for sale or in commercial production in the United States at this time, as APHIS has not deregulated any GE wheat varieties;— there is no health risk associated with glyphosate resistance events in wheat based on U.S. Food and Drug Administration evaluations.“We appreciate that USDA is collaborating with our organizations and our state, industry and trading partners to provide timely and transparent information about their findings as they investigate this discovery. We understand samples of the wheat plants from the field in Washington were sent to the USDA Federal Grain Inspection Service lab in Kansas City, Missouri, as well as USDA Agricultural Research lab in Pullman, Washington, for testing and confirmation.“We cannot speculate or comment about any potential market reactions until we learn more from APHIS and have a chance to discuss the situation in more detail with overseas customers. Based on what we know today from APHIS, we are confident that nothing has changed the U.S. wheat supply chain’s ability to deliver wheat that matches every customer’s specifications.”USDA said in its news release that, after previous detections of GE wheat, USDA strengthened its oversight of regulated GE wheat field trials.“APHIS now requires developers to apply for a permit for field trials involving GE wheat beginning with GE wheat planted on or after Jan. 1, 2016. Bringing GE wheat under permit enables APHIS to create and enforce permit conditions that ensure confinement and minimize the risk that the regulated GE wheat will persist in the environment. This detection is a result of events occurring before USDA strengthened its oversight of regulated GE wheat trials,” USDA stated.In the past, U.S. overseas markets showed zero tolerance for the prospect of genetically engineered wheat making it into market. In 2013, when a discovery of volunteer GE wheat was first found in Oregon, there was swift reaction from some of the largest importers of U.S. wheat — Japan, South Korea and Taiwan banned imports of certain U.S. wheat varieties. They temporarily suspended imports of U.S. wheat until there was some kind of proof and assurance that it did not enter the mainstream markets. In 2016, South Korea temporarily halted wheat imports from Washington state after volunteer GE wheat was found there, despite USDA assurances it hadn’t made it into the markets.Mary Kennedy can be reached at [email protected] her on Twitter @MaryCKenn(ES/AG)© Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.
The Uttar Pradesh State Law Commission on Thursday submitted a report to Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, suggesting a new law to check forcible religious conversions. “The report was submitted along with a draft legislation, Uttar Pradesh Freedom of Religion Bill, 2019,” Law Commission Secretary Sapna Tripathi said. The report was prepared after going through pre and post-Independence laws in the country and neighbouring countries besides keeping in mind court judgments. “The commission is of the view that existing legal provisions are not enough to check religious conversion and on this serious matter, a new law is needed like in 10 other States,” the report said.
ESPN College GameDayESPN has updated its college football “future” power rankings. The “FPR” is a projection of which college football teams will dominate the sport over the next three years. Here’s ESPN’s description:FPR is a projection of a program’s strength over the next three years, not just the 2016 season. An eight-person panel of ESPN reporters and analysts — Heather Dinich, Brad Edwards, Travis Haney, Sharon Katz, Tom Luginbill, Ted Miller, Adam Rittenberg and Mark Schlabach — graded teams based on five criteria, which were weighed differently to account for their impact on overall sustained success. The criteria: coaching (27 percent of the formula), current talent (27 percent), recruiting (20 percent), title path (16 percent) and program foundation (10 percent).Which team does ESPN think will rule the sport over the next three seasons? The reigning national champions.Alabama, which was overtaken by Ohio State in the 2015 edition of the FPR, has its No. 1 spot back. The Crimson Tide continue to recruit as well as ever and, coming off a national title, they’re an obvious choice for No. 1. Here’s the rest of the top 25: Alabama’s at No. 1, of course.AlabamaOhio StateFSUClemsonMichiganLSUStanfordOklahomaNotre DameMichigan StateFloridaGeorgiaUSCTennesseeTCUUCLATexasAuburnMiamiOle MissWashingtonOregonLouisvilleOklahoma StateNebraskaYou can view ESPN’s full rankings here.
London: Australia coach Justin Langer says he won’t be surprised if wearing a neck guard on the helmet becomes mandatory in the future after star batsman Steve Smith was felled by a bouncer in the second Ashes Test against England at Lord’s. Smith was batting on 80 on the fourth day on Saturday when he was struck by a bouncer from fast bowler Jofra Archer, timed at 92.4 mph (148.7 kph) on the (unprotected) back of his neck. He fell prostrate on the ground for a while, took time to regather himself and was initially withdrawn by the team doctor Richard Saw for precautionary concussion testing. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhThere was widespread surprise when Smith re-emerged less than a hour later at the fall of Peter Siddle’s wicket but was finally out for 92 when he shouldered arms to a straight ball from Chris Woakes That dismissal denied Smith his third hundred in as many Ashes innings after he marked his comeback Test following a 12-month ball-tampering ban, with scores of 144 and 142 in Australia’s 251-run win at Edgbaston. Significantly, Smith was wearing a helmet without the additional stem guard neck protection introduced following the death of Phillip Hughes after his former Australia team-mate was hit by a bouncer in a 2014 domestic Sheffield Shield match in Sydney. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced later”You never like seeing your players get hit like that, no doubt about that. It was obviously some pretty rough memories of a blow like that, so there’s no fun in it,” Langer said later. Asked whether he thought neck guards should be made mandatory for the players, Langer said, “It might be my error but I didn’t realise they weren’t mandatory until today. At the moment the players have a choice, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they become mandatory in the future.” The former Australia opener feels that Smith will have to wear a neck guard on his helmet in future whether he likes it or not. “I think Steve wrote in his book he just doesn’t like or feel comfortable (with a stem guard). He’s got all these idiosyncrasies everyone’s talking about — he doesn’t like having shoelaces he can see, doesn’t like his shoes being dirty, so it’s the same, it just doesn’t feel right,” the coach said. “I’m sure after today it will get talked about again, I know they came in after the tragedy of Hughesy. So I’m sure it will get talked about, and he might rethink it now after seeing what happened today, but you would have to ask him that.” Langer also revealed that Smith insisted on going back to bat after he retired following the blow on the back of his back, protesting that he needed to be given the chance to make a century at the home of cricket. The coach said Australia had not taken an undue risk in allowing Smith to resume his innings. “He had the concussion testing and passed all that and that’s why he came back out to bat. These are like my sons alright, so you’re never going to put them in harm’s way, even though you’re always in harm’s way with Test cricket.
OTTAWA – The Bank of Canada estimates there will be about 60,000 fewer jobs by 2019 due to the increases in minimum wages across the country, but that labour income will be higher due to the increases.In examining the impact of the wage increases, the report estimated that the consumer price index could be boosted by about 0.1 percentage points on average and real gross domestic product could be cut by 0.1 per cent by early 2019.The number of jobs lost was based on a 0.3 per cent decline in the number of hours worked, while aggregate real wages were estimated to increase 0.7 per cent.The research paper by the staff at the central bank noted that if the average working hours declined following the increase in the minimum wage, the number of jobs lost would also be lower.The Bank of Canada estimated that about eight per cent of all employees work at minimum wage, a proportion that increases to 11 per cent if a threshold of five per cent above minimum wage is used.Ontario raised its minimum wage to $14 per hour on Jan. 1 from $11.60 and plans to increase it to $15 in 2019, while Alberta is expected to raise its minimum wage to $15 later this year.
Burnley are currently placed seventh but Sean Dyche insisted that the league position is not the only aspect that can measure the successful season of his side – he mostly enjoyed his successful search for the right players.It has been a long journey for Sean Dyche as he managed to get Burnley to the Premier League and he insisted that he enjoyed the process of building the team the most – and he can feel a huge satisfaction after these results.The talented coach spoke about his side’s season as he said, according to Sport BT:“The outside view of it is the league table and that sort of thing, but I’ve had brilliant times here for different reasons.”Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“Searching for the right team when I got here. It didn’t feel brilliant at the time, we weren’t winning every week, but when I look back it was enjoyable for me.”“The first promotion was amazing. Not just because we went up, but seeing the players right in front of your eyes, on a weekly basis, getting better and better for a whole season.”“Things like that was as enjoyable as what’s happening now. But on the league table, of course, everyone says this is your best.”“It is in many ways, but it’s not in others. There’s a balance, but inevitable that we are judged on a table and of course it’s enjoyable for me for that because as a manager that’s what you’re judged on.”
Pep Guardiola revealed he was proud of Kevin De Bruyne’s performance in the club’s 5-0 routing of Burnley FC in the Fourth round of the FA Cup.Midfield maestro Kevin De Bruyne was in superb form as provided two assists in addition to his stunning long-range strike in what was a Man of the Match display to earn the plaudits of his managerGuardiola admitted the Belgian still needs minutes to regain his best form but is pleased with the playmaker’s recovery.“It’s not easy when players have long injuries,” he said via the club’s website. “That’s why we tried to handle his minutes.“Of course, we need him because he’s so clever and aggressive in his game. He helps a lot.”Asked if he would relish or fear the prospect of a Manchester Derby in the FA Cup Fifth Round draw, Guardiola replied: “I can’t control the draw!Mourinho knows why City and Liverpool are so far ahead George Patchias – September 13, 2019 Jose Mourinho knows why Manchester City and Liverpool are so far ahead of everyone else in the Premier League.In an interview with the Telegraph,…“It’s important to be in there. United have also won eight games in a row but I don’t know what the draw will be.“Hopefully, we can go through.”Up next for Man City is a League tie away to struggling Newcastle United as they bid to maintain their chase on League leaders, Liverpool.Ohhh Kevin De Bruyne 🎶 Here’s City’s 3rd goal, with a rocket coming from De Bruyne ⚽️ (3-0)#MCFC #MCIBUR pic.twitter.com/E9t74wwqiw— City Central (@City_CentraI) January 26, 2019