Electron And Tom Hamilton’s American Babies To Play Highline Ballroom This Friday In NYC

first_imgThe Disco Biscuits “side project,” Electron, has become a force to be reckoned with on its own over the years. The Marc Brownstein-led quartet, featuring fellow Biscuit Aron Magner, Joe Russo’s Almost Dead guitarist Tom Hamilton (whose fellow bandmate Joe Russo was the original drummer for the project in its earliest stages), and Lotus drummer Mike Greenfield, puts their own spin on songs penned by the bassist. Electron sets typically feature various covers by bands such as Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and even Hamilton’s former group Brothers Past, among others. This formula is sure to hold true for the group’s upcoming performance this Friday, April 21st at NYC’s Highline Ballroom.What is essentially the definition of a jam supergroup, with a well-established lineup of the scene’s cream of the crop, this outfit creates some of the most insane improvisational and exploratory jams out there. The energy between four musicians, that are clearly the best of friends, leads to some of the most synergistic jamming you will find out there today, never mind the fact that they all happen to be in wildly successful projects of their own.Pulling support for the night, along with double duty, will be Hamilton and his American Babies. Hamilton is undeniably one of the best songwriters in the scene today, with a penchant for crafting intricately woven songs that are both lyrically catchy and sonically appealing. With a talented lineup of Justin Mazer (guitar), Al Smith (drums), Raina Mullen (acoustic guitar/vocals), and Mark Sosnoskie (bass), Tom Hamilton’s American Babies are putting out some beautifully original music. Take a listen to their latest album, 2016’s An Epic Battle Between Light & Dark, and tell us we are wrong.Tickets for the show are currently on-sale, and can be purchased here. For additional information and show updates, check out the Facebook Event page.[photo courtesy of Scott Harris Photography]last_img read more

Zion Williamson joins Jordan Brand on richest rookie shoe deal in NBA history

first_img Related News Damian Lillard pulls out of USA Basketball camp; Jaylen Brown, Julius Randle added Well, this should be fun.Welcome to the family, @ZionWilliamson . #JUMPMAN pic.twitter.com/nSY2Eh0Fnu— Jordan (@Jumpman23) July 23, 2019“I feel incredibly blessed to be a part of the Jordan Brand family,” Williamson said in a release. “Since I was a kid, I dreamed of making it to the league and having the type of impact on the game Michael Jordan had and continues to have today. He was one of those special athletes I looked up to, and I really can’t express how happy and excited I am for this journey.”Williamson, who turned 19 earlier this month, was selected first overall by New Orleans in last month’s draft. He averaged 22.6 points, 8.9 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 2.1 steals and 1.8 blocks per game in his lone season at Duke Marcus Morris explains decision to pull out of agreement with Spurs, sign with Knicks Zion Williamson has been a pro for one month and is already joining the elite.The NBA’s No. 1 overall draft pick on Tuesday announced he has joined Nike’s Jordan Brand family. Lakers claim Giannis Antetokounmpo’s brother Kostas off waiverscenter_img Let’s Dance #JUMPMANA post shared by Zion Williamson (@zionwilliamson) on Jul 23, 2019 at 9:30am PDT According to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, who cited unidentified sources, the endorsement agreement extends five years and becomes the richest annual rookie shoe deal in NBA history.The Pelicans forward joins the likes of Russell Westbrook, Jayson Tatum, Blake Griffin and Chris Paul in signing with the brand. “Zion’s incredible determination, character and play are inspiring,” Michael Jordan said in a release. “He’s an essential part of the new talent that will help lead the brand into the future. He told us he would ‘shock the world,’ and asked us to believe him. We do.” View this post on Instagramlast_img read more

Reminders about pre-harvest herbicide treatment

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Mark Loux, Ohio State University ExtensionInformation on pre-harvest herbicide treatments for field corn and soybeans can be found in the “Weed Control Guide for Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois” at the end of these crop sections (pages 74 and 141 of the 2019 edition). Products labeled for corn include Aim, glyphosate, and paraquat. Products listed in the guide for soybeans include Aim, paraquat, glyphosate, and Sharpen. Some dicamba products are also approved for preharvest use in all types of soybeans, which escaped our notice until now, so it is not listed in the guide.The basic information for pre-harvest dicamba (for 4 pounds per gallon products) is: apply 8 to 32 ounces per acre as a broadcast or spot treatment after soybean pods have reached mature brown color and at least 75% leaf drop has occurred. Soybeans may be harvested 14 days or more after a pre-harvest application. Do not use pre-harvest-treated soybean for seed unless a germination test is performed on the seed with an acceptable result of 95% germination or better; do not feed soybean fodder or hay following a preharvest application of this product.Preharvest herbicide treatments are primarily intended to suppress/kill and desiccate weeds that can make harvest more difficult. Products with contact activity will cause faster desiccation and leaf drop of weeds but may be less effective at killing weeds compared with systemic products. Effective desiccation with contact herbicides may still require a week or more following application. Differences can vary by weed.The maximum paraquat rate is well below the rate required to actually kill large weeds, but it is still probably most effective for desiccation of morninglory. Glyphosate is not likely to be effective on marestail and waterhemp, and many giant ragweed populations, whereas dicamba may with enough time between application and harvest. The first frost will usually provide the same results, so in a situation where crop maturity is delayed as is the case in many fields this year, consider whether an herbicide treatment is actually needed.Pre-harvest treatments are not intended to be used to speed up crop maturity, and largely do not accomplish this. The restrictions on pre-harvest treatments that specify how mature the crop must be at time of application are designed to minimize any effect of herbicides on crop maturation. Applying earlier than specified could interfere with that process. The residue tolerances for this use are also based on a certain application timing, and failure to follow label guidelines could result in illegal herbicide residues in grain.last_img read more

Now, Nagaland starts exercise to list indigenous inhabitants

first_imgNagaland on Wednesday launched an exercise to prepare the Register of Indigenous Inhabitants of Nagaland (RIIN), a master list of all indigenous people.The project’s objective, the Nagaland government said, was to check the issuance of fake indigenous inhabitant certificates.RIIN, being monitored by the Home Commissioner, has a time-frame of 60 days for completion of the survey by designated teams. Each team, comprising local administrative officials, school teachers and nominated members has been tasked with visiting every village and urban ward within its specified area for collecting information and tallying with government records.“The process has been started,” Home Commissioner R. Ramakrishnan said without elaborating.Like Assam’s National Register of Citizens, scheduled to be published by July 31, RIIN has factored in a claims and objections phase before preparing the complete list latest by December 10. Those who figure in the list will be issued an Indigenous Inhabitant Certificate.Officials said that after RIIN’s completion, no one would be issued such a certificate except for babies born to those figuring in the indigenous register.Some civil body organisations had said RIIN was premature as there was no clear-cut definition of who is indigenous and who is non-indigenous in the State. Some suggested Nagaland’s Statehood Day – December 1, 1963 – should be the cut-off date for accepting any person as indigenous.last_img read more

Karthikeyan returns to F1 with Hispania

first_imgKarthikeyan will race for Hispania for the full season.After a five- year gap, Narain Karthikeyan made his return to Formula One. The ace Indian driver announced on Thursday that he has signed a contract with Hispania Racing Team ( HRT) for the 2011 season.Karthikeyan last raced in an F1 car in 2005 with Jordan and later test- drove for the Williams team in 2006 and 2007.Karthikeyan, 33, was elated with the development and was looking forward to fulfilling his dream of driving at the inaugural Indian Grand Prix. ” I have worked really hard to return to F1 and it will be a dream come true to race in the first ever F1 race in India. I am delighted to be racing again in F1. I have always maintained that I have not given up on my desire to return to the top level of motor sport. I am confident that I have the pace, the fitness and the will to succeed. I am extremely grateful to the Tata Group, without whose unwavering support, this comeback would not have been possible. I have a long standing relationship with Kolles and can’t wait for the season to start,” he added.The Spanish outfit’s team boss Colin Kolles said: ” It is a great pleasure for us to have signed Narain. I have known Narain for a long time and he can revert to the experiences he gained when he was competing for Jordan and being test and reserve driver for Williams,” said the German, who was the team principal of Jordan when Karthikeyan made his F1 debut.advertisementAfter his F1 stint in 2005, Narain dabbled with other competitive series. From 2007 until 2009, he drove for Team India in the A1GP and won in China and Britain. In 2009, he raced for the Kolles Audi Team in the Le Mans Series and the Le Mans 24- Hour race, where he was the first- ever Indian participant.Last year, he crossed the Atlantic and raced in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series in the US. There, he was adjudged the ‘ Most Popular Driver’. Market sources say Karthikeyan’s sponsors, led by the TATAs, have promised to raise ?8 million for HRT. It must be mentioned here that M AIL T ODAY had reported Karthikeyan will definitely race at the Indian GP because of solid sponsors’ backing. Interestingly, he started with a backof- the- grid team in 2005 ( Jordan) and again goes to back- of- the- grid team.Hispania, too, have made a smart marketing move. They began with an Indian driver last year – Karun Chandhok – and will have an Indian at the October 30 Indian GP. Narain will do a pre- season test in Valencia, Spain, in February.Hispania have improved their resources and have entered some strong technical partnerships for the 2011 season.Though they finished at the back of the grid last season, the Spanish outfit are expecting a change of fortune this time around with new gearbox deals with Williams.Narain’s manager Yohann Setna said the Indian will race for the entire season.” The team is financially stable after they attracted some Spanish investors. Narain’s sponsors are also completely committed for a longer run,” added Yohann.” HRT will participate with an upgraded version of their 2010 chassis, mated to the legendary Cosworth engine, and a gearbox sourced from Williams. It is the extraordinary F1 experience of Williams Grand Prix Engineering and the reliability of their cars that prompted HRT to take this positive step forward to become competitive on the Formula One grid,” Yohan said.The inaugural Indian GP is slated for October 30 and with the announcement of Karthikeyan’s return to Formula One, motorsport fans in country will definitely have a lot to look forward to.FACT FILE2005: The 33- year- old made his Formula One debut with Jordan and managed points at the US GP2007- 09: Was the lead driver for Team India in the A1 GP. He won in Zhuhai, China and Brands Hatch, UK2010: Participated at the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series2011: Returned to F1 after signing a deal with Hispania Racing Teamlast_img read more

ESPN’s College Football “Future” Power Rankings Top 25

first_imgThe College GameDay crew in Columbus Ohio.ESPN College GameDayESPN has updated its college football “future” power rankings. The “FPR” is a projection of which college football teams will dominate the sport over the next three years. Here’s ESPN’s description:FPR is a projection of a program’s strength over the next three years, not just the 2016 season. An eight-person panel of ESPN reporters and analysts — Heather Dinich, Brad Edwards, Travis Haney, Sharon Katz, Tom Luginbill, Ted Miller, Adam Rittenberg and Mark Schlabach — graded teams based on five criteria, which were weighed differently to account for their impact on overall sustained success. The criteria: coaching (27 percent of the formula), current talent (27 percent), recruiting (20 percent), title path (16 percent) and program foundation (10 percent).Which team does ESPN think will rule the sport over the next three seasons? The reigning national champions.Alabama, which was overtaken by Ohio State in the 2015 edition of the FPR, has its No. 1 spot back. The Crimson Tide continue to recruit as well as ever and, coming off a national title, they’re an obvious choice for No. 1. Here’s the rest of the top 25:  Alabama's at No. 1, of course. Alabama’s at No. 1, of course.AlabamaOhio StateFSUClemsonMichiganLSUStanfordOklahomaNotre DameMichigan StateFloridaGeorgiaUSCTennesseeTCUUCLATexasAuburnMiamiOle MissWashingtonOregonLouisvilleOklahoma StateNebraskaYou can view ESPN’s full rankings here.last_img read more

College students among 50 hurt in Maha road accident

first_imgPalghar: At least 50 passengers, most of them students of colleges, of a state transport bus were injured on Tuesday when it crashed into bushes after hitting a divider on Pivli-Wada route near Jambulpada village in Palghar district of Maharashtra, police said. The condition of at least two students is stated to be serious. The incident occurred around 7 am when the driver of the bus lost his control over the wheel while trying to save a girl who was crossing the road. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ “The bus jumped the lane, hit the divider, and landed on the other side of the road. It came to halt after crashing into bushes along the road,” said Wada police station Assistant Police Inspector, Govind Borade. He said the injured persons have been admitted to Wada rural hospital and the seriously injured to Thane civil hospital. The bus driver, identified as Vinayak Jadhav (27) has been arrested and booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for rash driving and Motor Vehicles Act.last_img read more

Brexit chaos stirs bafflement in Britain’s former colonies

first_imgHong Kong: Across much of Britain’s former Asian colonies, many are greeting the UK’s impending departure from the European Union with a mixture of bafflement, apathy, amusement — and a touch of schadenfreude. Britain long justified imperial subjugation by arguing Rule Britannia brought order, stability and shared prosperity — even after its retreat from colonialism birthed a host of troubled new nations still saddled with historical grievances and legacies to this day. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USNow Brits face a chaos and internal division of their own making, alongside potential isolation and years of economic hardship — particularly if the UK crashes out with no deal on April 12. “I was born and brought up in this British colony called Hong Kong and used to think that the Brits were a very sensible people,” remarked Claudia Mo, a pro-democracy lawmaker in the financial hub. “I’ve been watching Brexit process as a former colonial person and it’s almost like a farce, it’s sadly funny, sadly amusing. I’m baffled as to why and how things got to where they are now. To outsiders it’s almost unthinkable,” she told AFP. Mo, 62, came of age politically during a turbulent period for her birthplace sparked by Britain’s colonial legacy — the 1997 handover of Hong Kong to China. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsUnlike Brexit, Hong Kongers had no say in their future and many were desperate to obtain British passports in case the handover unleashed chaos. Many youngsters, Mo said, are still looking for opportunities overseas given Beijing’s increasingly authoritarian grip, but they may be less inclined to opt for Britain. “I think their first choices here are more likely Australia and Canada,” she remarked. In India, Sreeram Chaulia, dean of the Jindal School of International Affairs, said many regard Brexit as the latest chapter in what has been a “sharp decline in the place Britain commands as a great power”. “They are not a gold standard to look up to,” he said. “We get a feeling of a sinking ship and everybody wants to leave a sinking ship.” India’s economy is set to overtake the UK’s later this year. “The UK will then become a middle power. It is like a reversal of scale,” he noted. Students at Bangladesh’s Dhaka University offered mixed views on what Brexit might mean. Syed Tahsin said he hoped the relationship between the two countries might be “more positive than ever before” given Britain has vowed to strengthen bridges with Commonwealth countries. But others fretted that the anti-immigrant sentiment which fuelled the leave vote would make Britain less welcoming to overseas visitors and the Bangladeshi community already there. “Brexit itself is a policy of white supremacists,” lamented student Aishwarya Proma, adding she feared it will “just push more… immigrants (to) go back to their countries.” While Brits and Europeans may have been engrossed by the unceasing weekly drama of Brexit, many further afield admitted that they were more preoccupied by local issues. “The Brexit issue and the wider conversations about democracy seem far removed from daily life in Sri Lanka, where we are all consumed with our own dysfunctional politics,” Dharisha Bastians, chief editor of the Sunday Observer newspaper, told AFP. Nationalist Sri Lankan legislator Udaya Gammanpila regarded that disinterest as a good sign. “We are no longer preoccupied with British politics. We are slowly getting over our colonial mentality,” he said. Given its cultural and linguistic links, Australians have followed the Brexit drama perhaps more closely than any other former colony. Nick Miller, Europe correspondent for the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age newspapers, noted there was “immediate interest” from readers. “The sight of a country deliberately throwing away a close, mutually beneficial partnership, wilfully damaging its economy and influence on a point of cultural principle, was a surprise,” he wrote.last_img read more